Monday, December 15, 2008

Hectic...hectic

Past few days had been so hectic... After recovering from chicken pox and was on hospitalisation leave for 2 weeks, I returned to work last Wednesday. On that day, my 2nd DD was having a slight fever when I left home for work. Told my helper and my FIL that she was having a slight fever and I had given her some syrup panadol. Told them to monitor her and call me if there's any problem. Called home 2 times to check on both DDs. My helper told me that Meimei was still having fever and she had given her the medication. In the evening when I called home, she said Meimei was okay.

When I reached home around 2230hrs, my DH told me that he had just taken Meimei's temperature which was 40.0 degree celsius and my helper was sponging her with a semi-dry hankerchief (semi-dry hanky got any use??!?!). Best thing was, my helper did not even tell DH that Meimei was having a fever in the first place. We rushed her to Mt. A hospital but the dr was unable to find out the cause of the fever. As per normal, he told us to treat it as viral fever and only gave us panadol syrup. We were told to monitor her temperature closely and to sponge her whenever necessary.I had to take annual leave the following day to take of her. So 'paiseh', work for 1 day and took leave again. But I don't really have a choice.... my family comes first.

I and DH spent the next 2 days sponging Meimei day and night but her temperature never really went down. Most of the time it remained at 39.5 degrees celsius or higher. I refused to bring her to KK because I do not want her to go thru' a lumbar puncture (a procedure in which a needle is inserted into your spine to obtain cerebrospinal fluid). My friend's DS who was having a fever had to go thru it as it's a standard procedure??!! Well, I understand that they are worried that young babies might have meningitis,etc. But shouldn't they ruled out other possibilities before poking a needle into a babies' spine?!!! However, I am still not convinced that it's a viral fever. Took her to PD clinic for 2nd opinion. PD took her urine sample and confirmed that she was having a urinary tract infection which again, thanks to my helper for taking such 'good' care of my DDs when I was at work. Fever went down gradually and by the 4th dose of the antibiotic, her appetite was back and fever was almost gone.

I was so furious(which was an understatement)with my helper. I had told her REPEATEDLY to call me if there's any problem and even called back several times to check on them. And she got the cheek to tell my mum that the reason why she did not call me was that she was afraid that I might scold her and she did not wanna disturb while I was at work. I mean.... what????! It is not as if I never call back home!!! I was actually intending to send my helper back but persuaded by my mum to giver her a 2nd chance. Who knows if the next helper I get might be worse than her. SIgh..... sometimes, I really wish I can stay at home and take care of my DDs myself but in Singapore.... no money no talk. Moreover, I prefer to spend my own money since no one can nag at me. Lesson learned, never depend or trust them too much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wah your helper abit jia liat lol. Anyway good to know that your princess is fine and well again!

Weeee!